Sunday, December 15, 2013

Atheist Holidays

"Why do atheists need holiday symbols anyway?"  The quick answer is that we don't (at least I don't think so).  I think that sort of symbolism is largely the province of the religious, so using "me too" symbols during the holidays is a bit intellectually dishonest, not to mention just plain absurd.  Along this same line are those atheists who think creating an atheist church is a good idea.  I know that I don't speak for all atheists, by any stretch, and considering that I have only been such for about a year, it would be pretty arrogant on my part; however, I think it's safe to say that most of us who take a more scientific viewpoint of atheism are irritated by attempts to turn a mere rejection of deity into a pseudo-religion of some sort.  It's hard enough to refute the pervading canard that atheism is a religion when the USC has apparently ruled it as such (in actuality, the USC ruled atheism a religion so that atheists could be afforded the same protections as the religious, not because atheism expresses any tenets of religious belief).

Corollary to the previous paragraph's point, I get annoyed by those who think that I, as an atheist, should not celebrate any "Christian" holidays.  Rejecting the Christian religion and its god does not mean that I do not agree with the overarching themes of family togetherness and the spirit of giving.  Being an atheist does not mean that I am a nihilist.  As a human being, I appreciate the opportunity to spend time with my family and friends, give them gifts, and eat good food with them.  I no more need to believe in a god to participate in the holidays than a dog needs a shovel to bury a bone.  Christmas is nothing more than an amalgamation of various European winter solstice holidays, but with a thin veneer of Christianity, so most Christians also reject most of the "religious meaning" of Christmas--they just pretend that there was never any other significance other than that assigned by them.

Merry Christmas and all that...

No comments:

Post a Comment