Thursday, October 31, 2013

Arguing With Christians

Well, it seems I am locking horns more and more with the faithful.  What's interesting is that the moment they discover I am an atheist, the gloves come off.  I've rarely experienced a more judgmental group of people than the sharers of my former faith.  "You just weren't a true Christian,"enter the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.  It seems they have difficulty accepting that I could ever leave Christianity.  It makes me glad that Christianity carries no death penalty for apostasy à la islam.

Another interesting facet of these arguments is that Christians almost without exception assume that I am a big-time liberal democrat.  It's funny, because although I do agree with a few of the democrats' views on the social issues, I disagree with them vehemently on most issues, particularly those pertaining to the role of government--e.g. gun rights, welfare, affirmative action, and budgets.  Nevertheless, straw men are particularly easy to deconstruct, so keep on preaching, Christians!  On an almost daily basis, you reinforce why I am no longer Christian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment